Common Household Toxins For Pets

Home/Wellness Article/Common Household Toxins For Pets

Pets may encounter toxic chemicals around your home without you being aware of it. Do you have any of the items listed below in your home? If so, take extra precautions to place these items in a secure location to avoid accidental toxicities.

 

  • Medications: Medications for people and pets can be potentially toxic to your pet. Do not assume that medications that are safe to give to people are safe for your pet. Common drugs that pets ingest that cause toxicity include: anti-inflammatories (e.g.: aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen), inhalers and mood-changing drugs (e.g.: antidepressants).
  • Lawn chemicals: Insecticides, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
  • Outdoor chemicals: Ice melt, batteries and ethylene glycol antifreeze.
  • Toxic plants: Lilies, in particular, are highly toxic. To be safe, do not allow your pet to chew on any plants or flowers.
  • Cleaning chemicals: bleach, bathroom cleaners, detergents and fabric softeners.
  • Foods: chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are toxic to pets. Caution with chewing gum that contains the sweetener, xylitol, as this chemical is toxic to your pet.

Signs that your pet may have ingested a toxic substance include:

  • Drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance
  • Behavior changes: hyperactivity or lethargy
  • Fast or slow heart rate
  • Increased thirst
  • Stumbling, tremors, seizures, loss of consciousness, unable to waken
  • Changes in breathing character or rate

Time is of the essence with toxicities. If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful, do not hesitate to call your veterinary clinic immediately for recommendations. Do not induce vomiting in your pet without speaking to your veterinarian first as this may pose a health risk to your pet.

Immediately Contact ASPCA Animal Control If You Pet Comes in Contact With Any Toxins!

ASPCA Animal Poison Control

1-(888) 426-4435

 

2017-08-29T20:24:43+00:00 August 23rd, 2017|Categories: Wellness Article|
Close